A day out in Kolkata
This post acts as a guide for people visiting Kolkata for a trip..
Kolkata, the city of joy is a place located in West Bengal, on the eastern part of India. It was founded by the East India Company ( By combining the villages- Gobindapur, Shutanati and Kolikata) and remained Indias capital for a long time from 1773-1911.
The best time to visit Kolkata is from November- February. It will take you one day to explore this city rich in culture and history.
Let us have a look at some of the places you must visit on your trip to Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta).
Abodes of famous personalities:
1. Netaji Bhawan - It is the ancestral house of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose. It has a museum beautifully preserved. The staircase and the car that Netaji used for his secret departure is still on display.
2. Jorasanko Thakurbari- It is the ancestral house of Rabindranath Tagore.
3. Swami Vivekanandas house- Swamijis house is located on the busy streets of North Kolkata. It gives you a glimpse of his childhood and teachings. You may also buy yourselves gifts from the souvenir shops.
1. Dakshineshwar- Located on the banks of river Hooghly, this is a temple of Goddess Kali. This temple is as old as 300 years.
2. Kalighat- This too is a Kali temple on the banks of Hooghly and is known as one of the 51 Shakti Peethas.
3. Belur Math- This isnt a temple but the tranquillity and closeness to Dakshineshwar would give you the feel of one. It was founded by Swami Vivekananda as the headquarters of Ramakrishna Math and Mission. He was an ardent follower of Ramakrishna Paramahansa.
4. St. Pauls Cathedral-Known for its Gothic architecture, it is dedicated to St.Pauls.
1. Howrah Bridge and Vidyasagar Bride- Whenever you type Kolkata in google, you get to see these bridges. Enjoy a drive in the evening over these bridges.
2. Princep Ghat- Built during the British Raj, it is one of the oldest recreational spots in Kolkata. You can go boating, stroll around the bank and try out street food over there.
3. Indian Musuem- Travel back in history by making a visit to the oldest museum of India.
4. Victoria Memorial Hall- Dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria, this place is one of the most popular tourist attraction of Kolkata.
Drive Past: General Post Office, Shaheed Minar, Eden Gardens, Akashvaani Bhawan, Howrah station, Writers Building, Governors House, High Court, Maidan, Town Hall, Fort William, Race Course.
Lastly, a trip in Kolkata is incomplete if you dont make a visit to Esplanade and Parkstreet. Try out mouth-watering dishes from restaurants in Parkstreet and then complete your trip by going shopping to Kolkatas famous New Market.
More on Travel Experience
Find Trip estimate including Stay, Travel and Food
Long Weekend? find all the nearby destinations few hours away !Find Nearby
Find your next Trip Cost including Flight, StayCalculate
Travel Money required for your upcoming Trip
Find how much you are going to spend daily on your Trip. This excludes the Flight and Stay cost which is considered booked in advance.
Thus calculate Travel Money required for your overseas Trip in just few seconds
Share your Trip Experience
Suggestions in mind? We would love to hear them!